Friday, January 31, 2014

Kim chi-bokkeumbap

My first fried rice was Chinese restaurant style, then Miss Julie introduced me to Filipino fried rice and then . . . I found Korean Kim chi-bokkeumba! I love fried rice and I love spicy food so Korean fried rice with Kim chi is a real match for me. Bet you'll like it too.

Kim chi-bokkeumbap (Kim-chi Fried Rice)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup Napa Cabbage Kim-chi, cut into small pieces + 1 tablespoon Kim chi juice
2 cups overnight steamed white rice
1 tablespoon soy sauce or to taste
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes black pepper
1 stalk scallion, cut into small rounds
1 large egg

Heat a wok over medium-high heat with one teaspoon of oil. Fry egg sunny side up. Reserve in warm oven.

Add the remaining oil into the wok. Sauté the garlic and onion until aromatic. Add the Kim-chi and do a few quick stirs before adding the rice. Stir to combine well. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, and scallion. Stir a few times to blend with the rice. Place fried rice in warm bowls and and serve immediately with fried egg on top of the rice.

Note: I like my Kim-chi Fried Rice spicy with lots of Kim chi. Cut down on the Kim-chi if you like a milder taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment